Sunday, August 18, 2013

Gluten Free Mini Pancake Muffins

When I saw a recipe for Maple Sausage Pancake Muffins on Lynn's Kitchen Adventures, I knew this was the recipe I wanted to adapt to make mini pancake muffins.  Several people in the Facebook group Gluten Free Families had also been posting ideas for pancake muffins too, motivating me to finally try them.  


To start, I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and made a batch of King Arthur GF pancake mix that I purchased at The Fresh Market.  I whisked together 2 large eggs, 6 T unsalted butter (melted), and 2 C of lowfat milk (I used Lactaid), before adding the pancake mix.  I followed package directions and let it sit for 10 minutes to thicken.  The box says you can make this dairy free by adding 4 T oil and 1 1/2 C of rice milk.  


My husband cooked 1/2 package (1/2 pound) of Jimmy Dean Regular Premium Pork Sausage, which is labeled gluten free.  We used paper towels to remove all the grease from the sausage, then put it in a small bowl with 1/2 C of maple syrup.  I have never liked strong maple syrup, so I buy Archer Farms Organic 100% Maple Syrup Grade A, Medium Amber from Target.  


Stir well so that all the sausage is completely coated with the maple syrup.  


I reserved 1 cup of the pancake mix before adding the sausage.  Stir gently to combine.
I added 1/2 of a ripe smashed banana to the remaining pancake mix.  


I filled up my greased mini muffin tins and baked them for 20 minutes on 350.  The King Arthur GF Pancake mix makes 48 mini muffins.  


I loved the mini maple sausage pancake muffins so much that I ate them for breakfast and lunch.  My husband preferred the mini banana pancake muffins.  I froze the leftovers so I have a quick breakfast option for the school week.  

I considering adding frozen raspberries or blueberries to the reserved cup of pancake mix.  I'm sure my kids would also have loved some mini chocolate chips.

This recipe would work with homemade pancake batter or other gluten free mixes.  Check out the great suggestions Lynn has on her blog post about Maple Sausage Pancake Muffins.  

What ideas do you have for mini or regular-sized pancake muffins?  




0 comments:

Post a Comment